See all entries in Hector’s Ultimate Pics and Tricks for Smurf Village Friends]
Friends, from time to time something will go wrong with your game. This is as certain as the Smurfs are blue! The game will crash, you’ll be reset to Level 1, you’ll lose your neighbors, etc, etc! The majority of the time there is a fix so DON’T PANIC! I will try to guide you through what you should do if your smurfs act irregular. Things to note before we start:
- The older your device and/or iOS, the more problems you’ll see with your game due to the amount of information/tasks it takes for your device to process the game
- DO NOT update your iOS yet though until you have tried the tips below
TIP 1: Close Apps and **Power Cycle**
This is the first step that should ALWAYS be taken if there is something wrong with your game.
- Close all your apps using the multitask function. (Click here if you don’t know how)
- Power Cycle (see below):
Hold the On/Off button down for a couple seconds until the red slider appears. Slide it over and shut down your device. Power it back on by pressing the same button for a few seconds and reopen Smurfs’.
NOTE: If your game ever resets itself to level one, **STOP PLAYING!!!** If you continue playing you risk losing your village for good. Instead,, and your game should be right where you left it.
TIP 2: Papa’s Recover Village Trick
I often see this tip recommended before power cycling. ALWAYS power cycle first so that you don’t risk losing progress in your game. This tip should be used ONLY to recover a previously normal village and NOT for problems with the social aspects of the game.
Beeline has programmed the game to back itself up daily on your device. However, the daily back-ups aren’t visible without knowing the following trick:
Tap on Papa’s Smurf’s face 16 times. *poof* The “Recover Village” button should appear in the lower right corner!! Let’s tap on the button . . .
You can now select from which date you want to recover and even preview each date.
NOTE 1: You will lose some progress in your game depending on when the last back up was. Therefore, you may want to try the next tip (Deleting the game) if you’re concerned about losing any progress.
NOTE 2: If you delete the game from your device, you also delete the past recovered villages.
NOTE 3: You CAN recover smurfberries you’ve spent on items this way BUT you CANNOT have smurfberries you’ve purchased credited back to your bank account this way (so save your iTunes receipts!).
TIP 3: Deleting and Reinstalling
*** THIS SHOULD ONLY BE DONE IF YOU PLAY ON GAME CENTER!!! ***
Usually the previous solutions resolve whatever problem you have with your game. If it doesn’t then you may have to delete the game and download it again.
WARNING: This will erase any backed up villages saved with the Papa Smurf Recovery Trick.
Once you have reinstalled the game, open Game Center and start the game from there. You may still be at Level 1. DON’T PANIC!! Often you have to go through the opening storyboards (you know, where Gargamel has found the village and you have to start a new one, yadda, yadda, yadda) until the above sign appears. Choose your original village (the Online village).
TIP 4: Syncing to iTunes
There are two reasons to sync your device to iTunes:
- Recover your village from the last time you synced; this is an especially important tip for those that do not play with Game Center.
- Players not using GC should sync their device regularly
- Update the apps on your device through the app store
- Open your game via GC to sync it to their servers
- Close all your apps using the multitasking bar
- Sync your device to back up all your apps ( http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1296 )
- Transfer all purchases ( http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1848 )
- Sync your photos through iPhoto on a Mac or photo app on your PC (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4083 )
NOTE: If updating your iOS causes issues with your game, power cycle or delete and reinstall the app (only if you’re on GC!)
Tip 5: Neighbor Issues
The “Social Aspects” of the game (i.e. anything dependent on neighbor interaction: visiting neighbors, watering, etc) is MOST dependent on your internet connection
- Always test your problem on a WiFi network to see if it persists
- If you are only on 3G, then test your network using your internet browser (e.g. Safari)
Most of the game’s bugs are with the social aspect of the game. Remember to check your internet connection as stated above. If you are sure you have a good internet connection then the problem can lie in either one of the following areas:
- Problems arising with your GC neighbors or your game connecting to GC are usually due to server problems or maintenance being done by GC therefore the solution is usually just waiting until the servers are up and running again
- You can try Power Cycling or Deleting the game but if this doesn’t fix the problem then it’s likely a server issue or an innate issue within the game (in other words the issue lies with the game’s programming and you’re likely not alone!)
- Problems with Facebook neighbors are rarer than GC since the FB servers rarely go down
- Make sure your game is logged onto Facebook by going into Menu > Options > Manage Friends. If not then log-in. If you are then you can try logging off and back on (this may help with missing GC neighbors too).
- You can also try Power Cycling or Deleting and Reinstalling the app (ONLY if you’re on GC).
- Finally problems with your neighbors may be due to the game’s program itself. In other words, the game itself has a bug which may be isolated to the device you have or to all devices across the board. You may try the suggestions above but if the problem persists then rather than stress out about it, it may be better to sit back, sip on some smurfberry juice and hope for a bug fix with a future update!
Final Tip: Contacting Beeline
If none of the above tips help then this is likely a problem that many share (i.e. it’s one of the game’s bugs). You should try to contact Beeline. There are two ways you can do this:
- Beeline’s Get Satisfaction site ( http://getsatisfaction.com/beeline_games )
- It is best to look for your issue first and then make a post if you don’t find what you’re looking for
- Beeline is most responsive in this forum
- You will be asked what game, what device you’re using and what your issue is. If the information does not help you, you will be taken to page where you can email them your problem.
Smurfs and Smurfettes, I hope this helps. If you have any other fix it tips or see an errors above, please don’t hesitate to make a post below. I read them all.